Shootings in central Paris on Friday night have left several people dead and wounded, French television reported, while an explosion near Paris at the country’s main sports stadium forced the hasty evacuation of President François Hollande. The explosion occurred during a France-Germany soccer match.
- At least 120 people were killed and dozens were wounded in at least six apparently coordinated attacks, according to the French authorities.
- The French government imposed border controls, decreed new security powers and mobilized troops in a national emergency.
- Were you an eyewitness to any of the attacks? Our reporters are hoping to talk to more people about what happened. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an overview of the latest developments, see here.
Anne Hidalgo, the mayor of Paris, spoke to reporters outside the Bataclan concert hall after a series of terrorist attacks shook the French capital.
At St. Pancras International station in London, home of the Eurostar train services to Paris, trains were operating as scheduled on Saturday.
A Eurostar official said that there had been cancellations, but that service was back to normal. Travelers in the departure lounge were hunched over newspapers, reading about the attacks in Paris on Friday night. Some said they were jittery. Others said they would not be cowed by terrorism.
Solenn Le Daniel, a business manager from Britanny who lives in London and was traveling to see her family, said she was shocked by the events and overcome by a terrible sense of déjà vu.
“I woke up this morning feeling afraid,” she said. “The images are horrible. My dad called me from France and told me to avoid the Métro and restaurants.”
She continued: “This attack happened so soon after Charlie Hebdo, but it is on a different scale. People will point to Islam, it’s an easy mistake to make; this is the work of extremists.”
Another traveler, Denis Brown, a musician from Bournemouth, England, who lives in Paris, said: “I just want to get back to Paris and see my girlfriend who is pregnant and has been panicking.”
He continued: “It’s sad, really. I’m supposed to play a gig tonight, but I doubt it will happen. What are the chances of this happening again so soon after Charlie Hebdo?”
Eurostar offered its condolences to victims on its website and offered “free exchanges to all customers who choose not to travel this weekend on the London-Paris/Paris-London route.”
Travelers should allow 60 minutes for check-in throughout Saturday, the announcement said.
A visibly moved Angela Merkel addressed Germany early on Saturday, pledging solidarity with the French government and people and calling on Europeans to stand together in defiance of an attack on the liberties the Continent represents.
“We, your German friends, we are so close with you. We are crying with you,” said the chancellor, dressed in a black suit. “Together with you, we will fight against those who have carried out such an unfathomable act against you.”
Ms. Merkel expressed her condolences to the victims, their families and their friends and pledged her country’s assistance, saying she would call together her ministers for talks later in the day to determine what we could be done.
“Those whom we mourn were murdered in front of cafes, in restaurants, in a concert hall or on the open street. They wanted to live the life of free people in a city that celebrates life,” she said, her voice breaking. “And they met with murderers who hate this life of freedom.”
“This attack on freedom is not only aimed at Paris. We are all targets, and it affects all of us,” she added. “For that reason we will respond together.”
She called on Germans to show their determination not to be intimidated, by standing up for the values of respecting the right of each individual to pursue happiness and of living together in respect and tolerance.
“We know that our life of freedom is stronger than terror,” she said. “Let us answer the terrorists by living our values with courage.”
Many bus lines, Métro stations and government buildings in Paris are closed on Saturday morning. Here’s a rundown of what we know:
The following bus lines are not running: 89, 123, 126, 128, 191, 323, 388 and 391
The following Metro stations are closed (trains will not stop):
– République, lines 3, 5, 8, 9 and 11
– Temple, line 3
– Parmentier, line 3
– Jacques Bonsergent, line 5
– Oberkampf, lines 5 and 9
– Filles du Calvaire, line 8
– Strasbourg St.-Denis, lines 4, 8 and 9
– Goncourt, line 11
– Arts et Métiers, lines 3 and 11
– St.-Sébastien Froissart, line 8
– St.-Amboise, line 9
The official website of the City of Paris has been updated with the following emergency numbers, closures and other recommendations for enhanced security measures:
Emergency numbers and real-time information
Emergency number: 0800 40 60 05
For information, listen to: 107.1 FM
Information for tourists in Paris: 01 45 55 80 00
- Those who are at home, with relatives or at work should avoid going out
- Institutions open to the public are advised to emphasize safety and to welcome those in need
- Any public events that are underway should be discontinued
Starting on Saturday morning, the following will be closed:
- Schools, museums, libraries, community recreation centers, swimming pools and food markets
- Events at the city halls of all Paris arrondissements, or districts, are canceled. City Hall buildings will be closed, except for civil registry services and weddings.
- Security will be bolstered at the Paris City Hall and the city halls of individual arrondissements.
Diplomatic talks to resolve the crisis in Syria went forward
in Vienna on Saturday as scheduled despite the terrorist attacks in Paris.
Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius of France arrived at a Vienna hotel
in the morning to host the first session, which was attended by
Secretary of State John Kerry and several other leaders.
Neither Mr. Fabius nor Mr. Kerry spoke publicly about the attacks, but other leaders stopped on their way in to offer statements of
solidarity with the French.
“I wanted to express my condolences to the government and the people of France for the heinous terrorist attack that took place yesterday, which is in violation and contravention of all ethics and morals and religions,” said Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi foreign minister. “The kingdom of Saudi Arabia has long called for more intensified international efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism in all its forms and shapes.”
Mohammad Javad Zarif, the foreign minister of Iran, had been expected to skip the Syria talks while traveling elsewhere in Europe, but he changed course in light of the attacks. He was headed for Vienna to join the diplomatic negotiations, according to senior State Department officials.
The rock band U2 said in a statement that it had canceled a concert scheduled for Saturday night in Paris because of the attacks and the continuing security concerns.
The band said that the concert, which was to be broadcast on HBO, would be rescheduled and held at what it said was an “appropriate” time.
The rest of the band’s statement:
“We watched in disbelief and shock at the unfolding events in Paris and our hearts go out to all the victims and their families across the city tonight.
“We are devastated at the loss of life at the Eagles of Death Metal concert and our thoughts and prayers are with the band and their fans.
“And we hope and pray that all of our fans in Paris are safe.”
President Hassan Rouhani of Iran strongly condemned the Paris attacks in a message to President François Hollande, according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency.
Mr. Rouhani also canceled a trip to France, Italy and the Vatican, which was to begin on Saturday, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on television on Saturday morning. It would have been the first visit by a leader of Iran to Europe in more than a decade.
“It is better now to focus on fighting terrorism, and President Rouhani’s trip to Europe will happen in near future,” he said.
Hossein Jaber Ansari, a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, said in a statement: “Those terrorist groups that committed the Paris crimes do not believe in ethical principles, and they are not loyal to any type of divine religions including Islam.”
Headlines from newspapers around France on Saturday morning include:
“Carnage in Paris”
“Terrorist massacre in the heart of Paris”
“Carnage in the heart of Paris”
“War in the heart of Paris”
“The horror in Paris”
“This time, it’s war”
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada issued a statement following the terrorist attacks in Paris:
“I am shocked and saddened that so many people have been killed and injured today in a number of terrorist attacks in Paris, France, and that many others are being held hostage.
“As the situation continues to unfold, Sophie and I join all Canadians in extending our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those killed. It is our sincere hope that the hostages are freed unharmed as soon as possible. We also wish a speedy recovery to all those who have been injured.
“Canada stands with France at this dark time and offers all possible assistance. We will continue to work closely with the international community to help prevent these terrible, senseless acts.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of France and we mourn their loss.”
A spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor’s office told The Associated Press on Saturday that eight terrorists were dead after a series of attacks on Friday night.
Agnès Thibault-Lecuivre, the spokeswoman, said that seven of the attackers were killed in suicide bombings, according to The Associated Press. The eighth was killed by French security forces when they raided the Bataclan concert hall, where the terrorists were holding hostages.
She said at least 120 people were killed in the attacks and that it was possible that some of the attackers remained at large on Saturday.
The State Department has issued telephone numbers for those seeking assistance or looking for loved ones in Paris:
The United States Consulate in Paris has also issued guidance for American citizens in Paris, and this email address for those seeking assistance: ParisEmergencyUSC@state.gov.
On the Boulevard Beaumarchais, there was shock over a siege at a live music venue that took place a short distance from the attack on Charlie Hebdo in January.
Antoine Griezmann was playing soccer at the Stade de France when a series of bombs exploded nearby. His sister was at a concert at the Bataclan concert hall when terrorists charged in with their weapons drawn, setting off a hostage situation that killed scores.
He told the story, briefly, on Twitter on Friday night.
“My thoughts are with the victims of the attacks,” he wrote shortly before 7 p.m., several hours before he learned his sister had survived. “God takes care of my sister and the French.”
Three hours later, he wrote: “Thank God my sister was able to get out of the Bataclan. All my prayers are with the victims and their families.”
President Obama called President François Hollande of France on Friday evening, according to a statement released by the office of the White House press secretary:
President Obama spoke by phone this evening with President Hollande of France to offer the condolences of the American people for the horrific terrorist attacks in Paris earlier this evening. The President reiterated the United States’ steadfast, unwavering support for the people of France, our oldest ally and friend, and reaffirmed the offer of any necessary support to the French investigation. The two leaders pledged to work together, and with nations around the world, to defeat the scourge of terrorism.
President Xi Jinping of China joined the international condemnation of the attacks in Paris in a message to the French president, François Hollande, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
Mr. Xi told Mr. Hollande: “This is a traumatic time for the French people, and on behalf of the Chinese government and people, and in my own personal capacity, I condemn this barbarous action in the strongest possible terms, express my profound grief for the victims, and offer my sincere condolences to the injured and to the bereaving families of victims.” Mr. Xi also said: “China has consistently opposed all forms of terrorism, and is willing to work with France and the international community to strengthen security cooperation and to fight terrorism together, safeguarding the lives of people of all countries.”
President François Hollande arrived at the Bataclan, a music venue where about 100 victims were reported killed on Friday.
People gathered in Union Square in New York on Friday evening to hold a vigil for the victims of the terrorist attacks in Paris.
Brian Ries, an editor at the news and entertainment website Mashable, posted a video from the vigil, where French students in New York City gathered and sang the French national anthem, “La Marseillaise.”
Alex Bazeley, a journalism student at New York University and an editor at its student newspaper, also shared photographs of the vigil on Twitter. He estimated that more than 70 people attended.
Theodore Kim, a senior staff editor at The New York Times, posted a photo on Twitter of Saturday’s front page:
France’s exhibition soccer game against England, scheduled for Tuesday, will most likely be canceled in the wake of the killings in Paris, British newspapers reported late Friday.
The attacks are certain to lead to tighter security at the UEFA European Championship finals, which France is set to host next summer.
The championships are among the most prestigious in world soccer, but they will present considerable security challenges with 24 international teams set to contest 51 games over 32 days at 10 venues: Bordeaux, Lens, Lille, Lyon, Marseille, Nice, Paris, Saint-Denis, Saint-Etienne and Toulouse.
The nations taking part are: France, Iceland, Czech Republic, Turkey, Belgium, Wales, Spain, Slovakia, Germany, Poland, England, Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Romania, Austria, Russia, Italy, Croatia, Portugal and Albania, and four other countries that have yet to qualify.
Like Friday’s matchup of France and Germany, which took place during the attacks, next week’s fixture is one of a series of exhibition games arranged in the build up to Euro 2016.
Under the headline, “England-France friendly to be called off,” The Times of London wrote, “The Football Association will speak with its French counterparts this morning before confirming that the match will not go ahead.”
Here is a selection of Twitter posts from some of the U.S. presidential candidates reacting to the attacks.
The Paris police prefect, Michel Cadot, said all the assailants directly involved in the attacks around the city were believed to be dead, though they may have had accomplices who were still at large.
It was not immediately clear how many attackers were involved in total.
The Paris prosecutor, François Molins, told reporters after 2 a.m. on Saturday that at least five assailants had been killed and that attacks had been mounted at at least six sites.
After the siege at The Bataclan ended, the authorities said three attackers there had blown themselves up as the police closed in, while a fourth was shot by the police.
The French Interior Ministry has activated a website to provide information related to the attacks in Paris.
On the website, people can declare that someone is missing, give the police information on what they saw and view lists of people who are identified as missing.
A young man who was inside the Bataclan when the terrorist attack began on Friday said he saw two or three gunmen burst into the club waving automatic weapons.
“This is because of all the harm done by Hollande to Muslims all over the world,” one of the gunmen yelled in French. He was referring to François Hollande, the president of France.
He said many of the revelers did not realize at first that they were under attack. The gunmen opened fire and everyone dove for the floor, the young man said. The attackers told them to keep silent.
Two people were shot in front of him, he said.
In the aftermath of the hostage situation at the Bataclan, a music venue, ambulances raced to transport wounded survivors to hospitals, while those who escaped the hall uninjured were loaded onto borrowed transit buses to be taken to the police headquarters at 36 Quai des Orfèvres for interviews.
Many of those who escaped the venue took refuge at a nearby cafe until the siege was over, according to a man who said his daughter was among them. Others were seen streaming out of the Bataclan after the police assault, some with their hands on their heads.
Scores of survivors were seen boarding the city buses wrapped in gold thermal covers and blankets distributed by the authorities.
A young woman named Yasmine who was inside the Bataclan and was shot in the foot described the scene when the attacks began.
“I saw these two crazy guys arrive,” Yasmine said. “They started firing on everybody.”
She said one of them shouted, “What you are doing in Syria, you are going to pay for it now!”
Yasmine began to cry. “I’ve never seen so many dead around me,” she said.